Welcome!

Welcome to the dressage spot, a place for the young (or young at heart) dressage riders wanting to gain information on the sport of dressage, training tips, equine health care, maintenance and fun!

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Thank you all!


     So after the long four day journey home, as we literally pulled into the barn to unload Sjapoer I was on the Dressage radio show on the horsenetwork.com!  I am the last fifteen minutes of episode 217 with co-hosts Reese Koffler-Stanfield and Phillip Parkes.  You can listen at: http://dressageradio.horseradionetwork.com/2013/07/28/dressage-radio-episode-217-najyrc-winner-ayden-uhlir-and-debbie-mcdonald/

     What I find really interesting about doing a radio interview is listening to my voice.  Why is it that we always sound different in our heads than when we hear our voice outside of our own projection of it?  I mean have you ever said to yourself, do I really sound like that?  I think I sound like I am younger than I am and I laugh at myself frequently.  Maybe in my mind I think I am more sophisticated?  Anyway, one tip for all you junior riders out there; practice! Practice speaking in the mirror.  Write down what you want to say or to be sure to remember to say in an interview.  You might laugh at this but I wrote on my hand at NAYRC the names and how to pronounce the names of some people I really wanted to thank in my interview!  Unfortunately, I did this before my victory lap and when Sjapoer started galloping around the arena and my palms got a sweaty workout, it smudged!  So I have to come up with a better system.

     Another weird thing you don’t think of often is how you look in the pictures people post of you in articles and facebook.  I always see my friends Genay and Brandi looking like they just stepped off the pages of Vogue.  Even directly after a ride they have perfect posture, the raised arm of victory that is a classic Brandi.  They have beautiful smiles.  I always look goofy, my mouth makes some weird grin, my helmet is down over my eyes.  Mary Phelps talked about this at EDAP.  Give the photographers something they can use.  I did try something silly this year.  I wanted to blow a kiss to the camera while doing my victory lap.  I actually kissed my white gloves instead of pretending to.  I ruined my show gloves because they are now pink!  Don’t try that one.

     One other great thing that happened in KY, my friend Jessica looked at a beautiful 3 year old mare.  The horse is listed by the breeder Reese Koffler-Stanfield.  What a beautiful, sweet girl.  Jessica had the biggest grin riding her.  Three weeks under saddle and she was amazing.  They put up a tent she had never seen just before our visit.  The first time she saw the tent, mini was curious but went to it instead of bolting and was very nonchalant about the whole event.  She is really smart, her first day at the barn with Megan Moore and and Andrea Johnson at team CEO eventing she learned to bow!  I hope it works out for you Jessica.  If not, check out Minnie on Reese’s website at Maplecrest Farm.

    Finally, I want to thank all of the USDF and USEF staff for making my three years at NAJYRC so amazing.  This will always be a huge part of my memories of my teenage years and I will forever be thankful to everyone for the amazing fun, friendships and great riding!

No comments:

Post a Comment