Welcome!

Welcome to the dressage spot, a place for the young (or young at heart) dressage riders wanting to gain information on the sport of dressage, training tips, equine health care, maintenance and fun!

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Flying to Florida


         My standby flight on Southwest from Seattle was flawless! Cara Pasieka is the greatest. I wouldn’t be here without her sponsorship. Thank you Southwest Airlines.  I will admit that I forgot my ticket at home and my amazingly wonderful boyfriend ran back to get it for me at 5:30 am!  When I stepped off the plane I was met with 82 degree weather, sunshine and relatives I have never met! I had fun riding around on my Great Uncle Clyde’s golf cart and playing with Bella (a super-cute Jack Russell Terrier).  After a slow morning, we drove to Wellington and started to settle in.  Wellington, Florida is such a great experience for horse people.  It is the only place I know where you can go everywhere in boots and breeches and you blend in!  The tack shops actually have everything you might need; even for dressage! 

     The horse I was to ride in the clinic fell through; so I spent the day trying to find a new one to ride.  Luckily, my amazing coach Jeremy contacted his friend Ally and I am going this morning to try a few horses.  Keep your fingers crossed for me today! 

      The tentative schedule for the clinic starts with an introduction meeting on Tuesday night January 1st.  Every morning at 7 am we start the day with an intense workout.  Last year, I have to admit, I vomited on the first day it was so tough!  After the morning workout, from 8am-12 each of the 12 riders have a 45 minute lesson.  The 12 riders are divided between two clinicians each day.  On Wednesday the trainers are Tuny Page and Tina Konyot; on Thursday Katherine Chandler and Robert Dover; on Friday Robert Dover again and Jan Ebeling; and finally on Saturday Michael Barisone and Courtney Dye.

     Each afternoon after a group lunch there are lectures until 4 pm.  One thing I am definitely looking forward to is dinner at Hampton Green on Friday night.  Last year, it was a highlight of the clinic.  We played the game high-low.  This is a game where all the participants said the best thing that experienced during the week and the hardest. 

     Well I am off to have a waffle and get ready to ride! 

No comments:

Post a Comment