Welcome!

Welcome to the dressage spot, a place for the young (or young at heart) dressage riders wanting to gain information on the sport of dressage, training tips, equine health care, maintenance and fun!

Thursday, May 21, 2015

ThinLine Book Drive!!

The world is becoming a more diverse and tolerant place, yet we still have so far to go.  I think one of the reasons we are becoming more accepting is because we have become more educated and thus more understanding of the differences, histories and uniqueness around us.  As we learn about who people are, as we learn about why and how things and people became what they are we understand and with understanding perhaps we gain empathy.  
One of the things I hope to educate people about is the needs of Native people here in the United States.  As a part Ojibwa this is very personal for me. I could write for pages (and my mom could speak for days) on the state of the Native American being the result of the genocidal practices of the US government.  She could speak to you about the boarding school tortures, the coordinated effort to take land and to keep the Native and African from uniting.  She could talk about the growing crime on reservation land in the “Breaking Bad” style as nontribal criminal elements cannot be prosecuted by the tribal governments.  But I don’t hold the knowledge she does about the story of the Native people.  What I do know is that I can do something to help, to understand and to leave a mark by making the life of another better than I found it. 
I hope you can join me in this quest.  The Pine Ridge Sioux are some of the poorest people in the entire United States.  Their education system is sadly lacking in all the basic supplies we have at our finger tips.  They don’t have computers and the technology we take for granted in their schools.  Heck, they don’t even have enough paper and books.  So I want to join with ThinLine in their goal to promote a book drive for the population of the Pine Ridge Reservation. I found the ThinLine effort in an article on dressage daily.  I put the link below if you want more information.  I also put the direct link on the ThinLine site for more information about their efforts.  I hope to organize a book drive at my mom’s university and to further promote the effort whenever I can.  If you are interested in helping out contact me directly on my FB or email!  aydenmouse@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment